Monday, September 18, 2017

Bag It 2017 begins today :)

I thought it would be fun to make Halloween trick or treat bags for a couple of kiddos that I know.  I've already made them Halloween pillowcases but when I spotted this tutorial, I knew I wanted to make bags as well ... as one sometimes does ;)  I pulled out some fabric to trial the tutorial for sizing.  As it turns out, it would be just right for a 2 or 3 year old, but I'm going to do the Halloween version a bit taller.   Almost as soon as it was finished, a friend bought it to use as gift wrap for a gnome themed gift :D  I hope to get the Halloween version cut out soon - I have an idea for a 3D embellishment that I came up with a few nights ago while trying to fall asleep - hopefully it works out!

Today I made a bag for my neighbour - she wanted to buy a bag to use for her markers and school supplies (she's a teacher) - I couldn't let her buy something that I could make for her (happily!  I love my neighbour!) so I pulled out fabric I picked up during a visit to Sew Sisters (NAYY) at the beginning of the summer, and I whipped this up.  It measures 9 1/2" X 4" x 4" :)




It's quilted with light grey embroidery thread, and lined with black/white gingham (I buy it at Joanns in the States when I go down there - it's not polyestery like regular gingham - it's a lovely weight of cotton that works well for the bags I like to make).  I think she'll like it - I'm going to go put it on the fence between our two houses and call her :D   We have a thing, my neighbour and I ;)  She leaves garden goodies from her garden, on top of the fence on occasion, then calls me to tell me that our fence is doing weird things, LOL ... I try to return the favour when I can!

I'm participating in the Bag It 2017 event that Patty @ Elm Street Quilts hosts - it starts today so my Star Trek bag will be my first entry :)  (The gnome bag was made prior to today so it doesn't count).   If you like sewing bags, you should check it out - there will be lots of fun tutorials, and people posting their finishes (great inspiration!) and even some cool prizes :D  It runs from September 18 - December 15, 2017 :)

Edited a bit later (lol) to add this photo ...

Not 5 minutes after this picture was taken, the wind blew the bag into the neighbour's yard, LOL.
Murphy's Law - nobody is home to rescue it, so I texted her and
told her to go on a hunt when she gets home :D


15 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea to make Halloweenie bags for the kids! You are so clever. Thanks for sharing the link to the tutorial. I'm going to check it out! Your neighbor must have been so pleased with her bag! I love those boxy bags. They are so versatile, especially when sewing for the male species. I'm so excited that Bag It started today. I love making bags of all kinds. Can't wait to see no you embellish your Halloweenie bags! Don't forget to show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who wouldn't love anything Star Trek? I should make the bag just so my cat will stay out of my pens and markers. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love BagIt! I am nearing a quilty finish, but hope to make a bag or two too. The boxy case is CUTE, you are off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! You mean you didn't climb that fence to get the bag? I am picturing you at a run, vaulting over that fence with ease! I know, I know. You didn't do that because the fence isn't up to it, not because you couldn't do it.

    Nice bags there, Zipper Lady! (Was gonna call you bag lady, but came to my senses.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun that you have a neighbor like that! We have left a few yummies from our garden when we grew food on the back fence for our neighbor too. I didn't know you had a blog Sandra! How did I not know that? I clicked on your link in your email and discovered your blog! Following!!! I need to check out that bag info you mentioned and the rest of your blog too. Well you already know I love making bags, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect bag for trick or treating! Can't wait to see the halloween ones! The pencil case is AWESOME! LOL at your personal mail system :D Have a great day! Scout gets spayed next week so we are walking as much as possible! Love and miss you and Dennis!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the both bags - did your neighbor find the one that flew out the window?! You must be very good at making bags if you "whipped up" the one with the zip! It would take me a while :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the star trek bag! Great taste! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts Bag It 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Two cute bags fro sure. That one falling over the wall sounds like something that would happen to me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Star Trek fabric would go down well with a couple of the guys in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Star Trek bag is awesome Sandra, bet your neighbour was thrilled with it when she found it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Star Trek bag ! Your neighbor is very lucky ! I think we would have a lot of fun too, if we were neighbors ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And you got the faces right way up on both sides!!!! Love the magic fence - wish I had one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm really not sure how I missed this post... weird. Anyway, I love the small bag and the pouches - it's always interesting when we use some different kinds of fabric - well, you always have interesting fabric and great gift combos, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I try to reply to all comments - if you're a No Reply blogger or using Google + I can't get your email address so please leave it (obfuscated somehow) in the message so I can write back (and snoop your blog, lol) - thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails